As much as Jeremy and I love going on dates together, our girls really love going on dates with Daddy too.
They know that when Daddy takes them out, they are going to have a lot of fun… and they will probably do something that they wouldn’t normally do with Mommy.
Over Christmas break, Jeremy took the time to take each of the girls on their own date.
He hand picked something that each of them would like and crafted their date to fit their personality. It was sweet to see him planning and the girls waiting in anticipation for their turn.
Daddy daughter relationships are precious and valuable. It is a relationship that cultivates a little girl’s thinking on all things boys.
Because of that, it is well worth a dad’s time to invest in some dates with his daughter.
I’ve put together a list of some simple ideas for Daddy Daughter Dates.
1. Dinner and a movie… as simple as this is, it is a great option for a first DD date. Pick a movie your daughter will love and show her you will watch it too!
2. Outside Fun – if it is snowing, go sledding. if it is summer, go swimming. or biking. or running. or kite flying. walk through a park.
3. Go Fancy – something nice where you both get to dress up for dinner
4. Think Theater – what is going on at your local theater? a ballet, a musical, a play… many times these shows are kid friendly and they often will have lower priced afternoon showings. Sometimes the theater will even have kids days with crafts to go with the show or other fun children’s activities.
5. Go out for Coffee – depending on your daughter’s age, she may not want coffee… but coffee shops will have hot chocolate or flavored steamers she will love. This setting is perfect for drawing your daughter into great conversations or reading a book together.
6. Field Trip – is there a company or a factory or something in your area that offers tours? like a candy shop or chocolate making or doughnut restaurant? Maybe a museum or a zoo. This makes for a fun filled DD day!
7. Art – whether it is a trip to the art museum or visiting your local pottery shop, girls love art! Making a piece of pottery together or painting together or some other kind of craft will be a keepsake she will always remember.
8. Check your church calendar or local newspaper for pre-planned DD events. Our Chick-Fil-A offers a DD night each spring. Churches usually have some kind of DD dinner or event. Being prepared for these events ahead of time takes the guess work out of what to do and allows you to enjoy a day planned by someone else!
9. Try something new – go to a world market and buy a few fun things to try or go to an ethnic restaurant for Indian food or African food or something else you might not have had before. This will for sure give your daughter a fun night to tell all her friends about!
10. Let her pick – ask her what she wants to do and then do it with her! It might be crazy or different or even slightly boring but do it with her and she will cherish the time spent together.
A few other tips:
Take pictures and text mom while you are gone… Moms love to see the updates of your date!
No matter what you do, keep the date about her.
If you promise to take her, follow through. Don’t talk about the date and then never do it. Schedule it and make sure it happens!
Plan and be prepared. Call for showtimes or prices or whatever you need to know before you go. Let her know you put time into planning and she will feel treasured and loved.
Remember, these DD dates are shaping her thoughts, opinions and expectations. They are helping her experience really great dates so she will have a future reference.
No pressure, Dads, but you really do have a big job in helping your daughters grow up. Take the challenge and give your daughter memories to cherish and hold for the rest of her life!
Here is a great resource with more Daddy Daughter Date Ideas!
Do you have any date ideas for dads and daughters?