There are certain things about a missionary raising support that will just plain always be hard.
Calling, traveling, praying, waiting, trusting, selling everything, moving away from family, giving up the comforts of home… those things will never change.
But, I am recognizing more and more every day how blessed we are to be raising support in the 21st century.
There are things that I am incredibly thankful for, things that make our lives so. much. easier.
1. Our cellphones. Seriously. How on earth did people in general make it before phones but how did missionaries make it before cellphones? Specifically, our iPhones. Really, honestly, truely… these babies can do anything we need them to do. Scan in receipts, keep our calendar, give us directions, google phone numbers, tell us the weather… our lives are daily impacted by our iPhones.
2. KLOVE app. You know when you are traveling and you don’t know what radio station to listen to? Well, as we travel around, we look for Christian radio stations and we can’t always find one. Even if I do find one, it might not be KLOVE and so it seems different. And so many of them have commercials! When I am away from home, I am thankful for this app because it keeps something the same. I can travel with my radio station, hear the same songs, and the same voices when everything else in life is different. Love it.
3. GPS. Yes, our phones can give us directions, but having a good, old GPS is still so helpful.
4. Starbucks. There is something about a perfect skinny vanilla latte that makes the next hour’s drive much more enjoyable.
5. iPods. These have made traveling with kids a dream. They can read, watch movies, play games, listen to music, have books read to them, color, take pictures of our travels, video each other and who knows what all else on one small device. Thank you to all the friends and family who made purchasing 3 iPods possible for this family. They are truly making this support raising season endurable for the girls.
6. Facebook. This has been THE best source of connection for us as missionaries. We can almost immediately connect with anyone about anything. It is amazing.
7. McDonalds/Chick-Fil-A. I mentioned Starbucks for Mommy… but these food places have been wonderful for the family. Quick, easy food… and we can get healthy food! Fruit, salads, soup, grilled chicken… AND they have play places and WiFi. Perfect when we are traveling!
8. Google. We can get any information that we need at any time. Any web page, any store info, any phone number or address… it is all there for us and available very quickly.
9. Gas Buddy App. We use this constantly. We never know what gas prices are going to be and that helps us decide when and where to fill up! Saves us money every time.
10. YOU! This blog/facebook/twitter/instagram… it all connects us to friends and family. We are so thankful to have this outlet to write about the daily life of raising support and to have you all right there with encouraging words and promises to pray. Having you all along for the ride on this journey is invaluable!
Any thoughts, apps, places, things that you think might keep making this process a smooth transition for our family? Tell me in the comments!