oh yes. Mom sayings and marriage.
read that title again.
I received a comment recently from Kyle @ Aspired Living about how the things we say to our kids can apply to marriage. She said, “I say that to my kids all the time about their relationships and I often forget to apply it to mine. Great post thanks!”
I thought, “She is SO right!”
The things we say to our kids, the things we teach our kids, the things we pour into their lives… those things surely could be applied to how we interact with our spouse.
Mom Sayings Like…
1. You are responsible for your own actions.
2. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
3. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
4. Do not be an instigator.
5. Speak kind words to each other.
6. Be considerate of each other.
7. Sharing is caring.
8. You have to be a good friend to have a good friend.
9. You can’t get mad at them if you do the same things.
10. You can choose how you respond to each other.
11. Choose to be the peacemaker.
12. Put others first.
13. Think before you speak.
14. Don’t act out in your anger.
15. Be a helper.
16. Show grace.
17. Pray for each other.
18. I don’t want to hear about what they did, I want to know what YOU did.
19. Trust is valuable. And once broken, trust is very costly to repair.
20. Be a team player.
These are just 20 things from the very long list of mommy sayings I repeat over and over and over and over to my girls.
And as I read them with marriage in mind… well, it puts things in a whole new perspective.
Have you thought about that?
What if we took a month to apply the things we teach our children to our marriage?
What would happen if we saw ourselves in the “mom sayings” and purposed to speak it to ourselves?
How different could things be if we applied these sayings to our interactions with our spouse on a daily basis?
Hmmm… something to think about!
What mom sayings can you add to the list that would apply to marriage?