I don’t know about you, but the impact of technology has greatly blessed our lives.
I see a lot of posts dedicated to the negative side of technology.
And there are negative sides.
But, I thought I’d turn it around and post some of the positives.
Because the impact of technology is not only here to stay, it is going to continue to be a bigger and bigger part of our lives.
Technology isn’t going anywhere.
Our phones and iPads and laptops and every other little device is a part of the here and now and also a part of our future.
My sister was telling me how her husband had headphones on and he couldn’t hear her talking to him. So she texted him.
And he answered via text.
But that is our lives!
We live in a day that is capable of incredible ways of communications.
When she told us that story, my husband said, “Well, that’s technology in marriage for ya!”
I see repeatedly on facebook where my friends are talking to each other online.
One spouse posts, “I’m having ice cream!” and the spouse replies, “Hey, bring me some!”
How fun is that?
Generations before us would have scoffed. WE often scoff. But, really… think about how fun it is to use technology to help our relationships grow.
It doesn’t have to be all bad!
Jeremy and I both love technology and we have learned to let it help us in many ways.
Here is our list of how the impact of technology helps our marriage:
1. Calendar! I can’t even tell you how much I LOVE having our calendars connected. What a huge blessing! This helps us every single day. I can write notes, phone numbers, details… all in ONE place that we both have access to right on our phones. Ah.Mazing for our busy marriage.
2. Texting. Serious help here. Grocery lists, instructions, I love yous… texting is the best things to happen in technology for my “non-phone talking” hubby. We can text if we are in meetings, which we are in a lot, or when we are states away, which we are a lot, or if we are in the same room! Which we are a lot! Texting keeps us connected no matter what. I love it.
3. GPS – No longer to we have to look at maps or follow printed mapquest directions which ALWAYS caused problems. Now, we both can listen to the GPS and she tells us exactly where to go. No stopping for directions or arguing over which way is right… can we say peace in the car, please? We also love and use google maps. often. like a lot. so much easier for us both!
4. Social Media. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook… each of these things allows us fun windows into each others lives and let us flirt, connect, and talk in ways generations before us couldn’t even imagine. These magnify the impact of technology and can be very helpful for couples. And a lot of fun!
5. Laptops. We can sit together on the couch, reading, browsing, shopping, peeking at each others screens, talking about what we find. Both of us being on laptops doesn’t have to disconnect us. It can actually help us have things to talk about and things to look at and things to enjoy together!
6. Shared accounts. I buy a book? He gets it too! I buy a movie? He gets it too! He finds a free app? I get it too! What a fun way to share things, yet still have your own things! I love it. Genius.
7. Devotions. Yes, couples have done their devotions together for years and years. But having a Bible app with reading plans and devotional thoughts is very fun. We often ask, “What day are you on?” in such and such a reading plan. Not only does it hold us accountable but we can have it with us all the time. Which means we can discuss it anytime and have it all right there with us.
8. Dates. You know that older couple that sits together and doesn’t even talk? Or, that young couple that is sitting there both absorbed in their phones? Well, there IS middle ground! We tend to be on our phones AND talking. We share the things we find and look at pictures on each others facebook walls or feeds. When used right, those little devices can be helpful discussion starters and connecting points from our days! Phones and apps can also help on date night. Think scavenger hunt or dinner reservations or movie reviews or geocaching!
Also see 20 Date Ideas You BOTH Will Love
9. Apps. There is really an app for everything. Recipes, exercise, notes, timers, walkie talkie, weather… if there is something you struggle with organizationally or relationally, there is probably an app for that! Set yourself up for success in those areas and use an app. For example, we shop for Christmas all year long. And you know, Jeremy loves to shop. So we found an app that helps us keep track of presents we buy and for who so we don’t forget and we both can know who is left on our list. Very helpful. No more lost pieces of paper. There is an app for that!
10. Finances. Apps that record car records and receipts and spending info… make sure you have the appropriate locks on your phone, but using apps and phone features to help your family finances will bring great peace to this area of your life! We are known to take pictures of receipts and text them to each other or use or Tiny Scan app to save things. It works wonderfully. And definitely helps your marriage!
I could go on and on… email, DVR… technology is such a HUGE blessing to our marriage.
It helps sometimes to sit and look at the good instead of always focusing on the bad.
Used well, with proper guidelines and healthy respect, technology can be a great benefit in your marriage.
What are some ways that technology helps you in your marriage?